5th/6th grade ELA/SS Lead Teacher
Description and Requirements
About Miftaahul Uloom
Founded in 1994, Miftaahul Uloom is a Pre-School to 12th grade accredited non-for-profit institution in Union City, NJ. Our mission is to help families educate children to be God-conscious, principled, knowledgeable, well-balance, cooperative, committed, and caring Muslims fully equipped to face the challenges of the 21st century. We serve families across Hudson, Bergen, Passaic and Essex counties and aim to tie together the best of publicly funded programming embedded within Islamic values for our children to have the foundation they need to thrive.
About our Elementary and Middle School program
Miftaahul Uloom Academy is governed by a school board and non-profit board consisting of community members who are deeply passionate about the work we do as an institution. Our administration is led by lifelong educators and school leaders, Principal Saima Sanaullah, and Vice-Principal Eman Elkholy who have designed our school’s curriculum to build off of the Montessori Journey. Our 5th and 6th grade program allows students to transition between subject area classrooms, making them responsible for their own time while encouraging extended learning windows through block periods. We are looking for a teacher who will work in partnership with the math and science 5th/6th grade teacher to ensure all students are set to succeed through this journey.
What we are looking for
We are seeking a dynamic and passionate professional to join our elementary and middle school team. The ideal candidate should be certified, have more than 2 years of experience in the classroom and be comfortable working with both subject matters. The individual should be able to accommodate differentiated learning within the classroom while teaching a dynamic arts and humanities integrated curriculum to ensure every student thrives under their tutelage.
1) Curriculum & Instruction
- Demonstrating solid knowledge and understanding of the content matter.
- Establishing, communicating, and demanding high expectations for student learning, and quality of work.
- Using a multitude of instructional strategies and activities that are academically rigorous and highly engaging.
- Executing detailed lesson plans mapped to a year-long academic plan to address learning needs.
- Taking full responsibility for student failure and constantly working to respond to the students’ learning needs.
- Consistently sending the message that this work is important, that the student can do it, and that you will not give up on a student.
- Track and analyze student data to identify student learning needs and set ambitious, attainable goals for student progress.
- Planning and implementing strategies to achieve targets related to student learning outcomes.
- Working collaboratively with the principal and other teachers to develop and revise curriculum based on assessment data.
3) Classroom Environment
- Maintaining an efficient, respectful and positive tone in your classroom.
- Utilizing time to maximize student learning and communicating a constant, tangible sense of urgency.
- Ensuring that all students are on task at all times during a lesson.
- Clearly enforcing and emphasizing school rules, values and expectations.
- Building relationships with students that demonstrate an open concern and a sense of responsibility for students’ academic and personal growth.
- Supervising students during lunch and transition periods.
4) Additional Expectations
- Putting in an extraordinary amount of time and effort to contribute to student and school success.
- Independently assuming additional responsibilities when necessary and demonstrating leadership.
- Making frequent phone calls, keeping parents informed of successes and struggles.
- Maintaining an orderly school culture.
- Occasionally leading professional development sessions.
- Other duties that may be necessary to fulfill the mission of the school.
- Maintain high expectations for student academic success and conduct
- Subscribe to the belief that every student has a natural desire to learn and have the desire to bring all students into the educational mainstream by the end of elementary school
- Implement engaging and rigorous units to ensure all students master the required content
- Able to implement project based blended learning activities that activate the imagination, stimulate critical thinking and develop problem-solving skills
- Administer a variety of formal and informal assessments to measure student growth and mastery and to evaluate and refine instruction
- Reinforce school-wide rules and expectations
- Implement warm-strict classroom management techniques
- Collaborate closely with fellow teachers and other staff members
- Differentiate instruction effectively to meet the individual needs of students
- Identify students who are academically at risk and initiate effective intervention strategies
- Participate actively in professional development
- Communicate frequently with parents
- Build strong relationships with students, staff and families
Absence : Notify the principal as soon as possible so that a substitute can be organized and let your assistant know. Generous PTO is offered.
Hours : 7:30 am – 4 pm, including a half hour lunch break.
Reporting structure: Our teachers are an integral part of our school-based instructional team and report to the School Director(s) Saima Sanaullah and Eman Elkholy.
- Relentless work ethic.
- Belief that all students have what it takes to be successful.
- Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university. GPA must meet minimum requirements for NJ DOE certification.
- Demonstrated mastery of content knowledge and ability to drive student growth.
- Prior teaching experience in an urban No Excuses school setting strongly preferred.
- Extremely strong classroom management abilities.
- Evidence of NJ Department of Education certification (CE/CEAS/Provisional/Standard) or out of state certification.
- Experience developing curriculum or potential to lead curricular development strongly preferred.
To apply to this position, kindly email the following to our Principal, Saima Sanaullah at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Updated resume showing at least 2 years of teaching experience
- Proof of teaching credential
- Cover letter addressed to Ms. Sanaullah outlining why you believe you would make a strong addition to the academic team at Miftaahul Uloom Academy
- List of four references – three professional, one personal
Position will close on June 28th, 2018
All eligible candidates will receive an email requesting a phone screening. Should the phone screening go well, candidate will be invited to the school for an interview with the Principal, Vice-Principal and head of department and will be asked to prepare and present a sample teaching lesson.
Pay and Benefits
Salary is commensurate on experience
Name: Saima Sanaullah
Title: PrincipalEmail: SSanaullah@muanj.org
Miftaahul Uloom Academy
501 15th St, Union City, NJ 07087, USA