Montessori 3-6 Lead Teacher
Description and Requirements
About Miftaahul Uloom
Founded in 1994, Miftaahul Uloom is a Pre-School to 12th grade accredited institution in Union City, NJ. Our mission is to help families educate children to be God-conscious, principled, knowledgeable, well-balance, cooperative, committed, and caring Muslims fully equipped to face the challenges of the 21st century. We serve families across Hudson, Bergen, Passaic and Essex counties and aim to tie together the best of publicly funded programming embedded within Islamic values for our children to have the foundation they need to thrive.
We believe the principles of Montessori education are entirely aligned with the Islamic values needed by the American Muslim child to thrive as a whole individual. Montessori’s focus on academic, social and personal development starting from the age of 3 develops a strong foundation for children as they become strong, independent and principled young adults. Under the tutelage of certified and experienced Montessori educators, we take charge of cultivating an environment where each child, regardless of their individual need, can thrive.
What we are looking for
We are seeking a dynamic and passionate professional to join our Montessori 3-6 team to advance our mission of educating children with strong character and principles, while guiding them to thrive academically and in their individual, personal growth. If you have a strong belief in the Montessori model, are passionate about working with young children, are open to working in a small, private institution with deep family and community roots, and are seeking full-time employment, please read the responsibilities associated with the open position below.
- Establish the morning and extended day work period and give lessons as needed.
- Establish and maintain classroom true to the Montessori philosophy, paying particular attention to the needs of students.
- Implement and update curriculum as student needs dictate.
- Plan, prepare and maintain all units of study – including Montessori materials, thematic units, library books, etc.
- Schedule all guest presenters and organize all field trips.
Facilitate a respectful environment for children and adults by advocating conflict resolution and Grace and Courtesy lessons.
- Communicate via newsletters (email) with parents about their children’s school lives every week and educate parents in Montessori philosophy.
- Prepare for and schedule 3 individual communications with all parents during the year –including 2 physical parent conferences and 1 telephone conversation.
- Schedule and work with other faculty for any joint Parent Nights, programs/performances, etc.
- Meet individually with prospective parents and students.
- Carefully observe and keep daily records on each student’s individual progression through the classroom.
- Maintain the school’s system of record keeping.
- Complete individual learning plans and conference forms for all students.
- Keep a school calendar of events.
Supervision of Classroom Assistants and Interns:
- Establish a harmonious relationship with assistant and intern.
- Conduct weekly staff meetings.
- Participate in staff evaluation.
- Support intern in every way possible.
- Report to the Director/President of the Board regarding intern’s progress fortnightly.
- Call/find substitutes for staff members in emergency situations.
- Serve as the liaison for the classroom to the principal paying particular attention to ensuring that the principal’s policies on safety, school licensing requirements, staffing minimums, are adhered to, including completing a monthly health and safety checklist.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- Plan, prepare, and organize all materials for parent volunteers.
- Assist in the planning and maintenance of the building, materials and playground to ensure they are clean, safe and maintained. Report any maintenance issues to the Principal.
- Care for all classroom animals and plants.
- Organize planning time for changing out material, cleaning and reorganizing works.
Notify the principal as soon as possible so that a substitute can be organized and let your assistant know. Generous PTO is offered.
7:30am – 4pm, including a half hour lunch break.
The lead teacher must meet the following basic requirements:
- Diploma from the Association Montessori Society with a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent such as pre-primary credential, primary diploma, or provisional certificate from the American Montessori Society)
- At least 1,040 hours experience as an assistant teacher, aide, or student intern, preferably in a Montessori primary classroom
- CPR/First Aid certification
- Have the physical capacity to work with pre-school/Kindergarten aged children.
- Continued Professional Development (minimum 15 hours per school year).
- Upon selection, a background check and drug screening must be passed prior to beginning the school year
To apply to this position, kindly email the following to our Principal, Saima Sanaullah at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Updated resume showing at least 3 years of teaching experience
- Proof of Montessori credential
- Cover letter addressed to Ms. Sanaullah outlining why you believe you would make a strong addition to the Montessori 3-6 program at Miftaahul Uloom Academy
- List of four references – three professional, one personal
Position will close on June 28th, 2018
All eligible candidates will receive an email requesting a phone screening. Should the phone screening go well, candidate will be invited to the school for an interview with the Principal, Vice-Principal and head of department and will be asked to prepare and present a sample teaching lesson.
Montessori teacher (Full Time)
Pay and Benefits
Salary is commensurate on experience
Name: Saima Sanaullah
Title: PrincipalEmail: email@example.com