Description and Requirements
Job Title: Principal K – 8
Reports to: Head of School
Position Type: Full-Time
Work Hours: 7:30 – 4:30 (M – F)
Direct and manage overall school academics. Responsible for leadership of the school instructional program ensuring high standards of instruction and student achievement, compliance with school and state policies, application of instructional programs, and effective operation of all school activities..
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Monitor instructional processes to ensure that program activities are related to outcomes and use findings to take corrective actions where necessary.
- Provide instructional resources and materials needed to accomplish instructional goals.
- Establish clear expectations for staff performance with regard to instructional strategies, classroom management, and communication with the public.
- Foster collegiality and team building among staff members. Encourage their active involvement in decision-making process.
- Solicit regular input from department-level committee about planning, operation, supervision, and evaluation of campus education program. Include students and community representatives when appropriate
School or Organization Improvement
- Build a common vision for school improvement with staff.
- Direct planning activities and implement programs to ensure attainment of school’s mission.
- Establish school performance objectives for Academic Excellence Indicators using the school planning process and involving site-based decision making committee.
- Demonstrate school progress using results to promote school improvement.
- Provide opportunities for interactive communication with head of school, staff, students, parents, and community.
- Overall management and implementation of school’s discipline policy
- Enhance current and introduce new academic initiatives
- Ensure all new students meet the academic standards to succeed within BHA
- Monitor interim report cards
- Review report cards
- Monitor grade monitoring software (i.e. Sycamore)
- Provide a proactive and comprehensive (student, teacher and parent) “promotion in danger” early intervention and solution plan to ensure the success of the student
- Be available and visible during
- Morning assembly
- Saleh times
- Parent, teacher, and staff orientations
- Other school events
- Attend BHA Board meetings as requested
- Attend PTO General Body meetings
- Provide mid-year and end-of-year evaluations on teaching staff
- Make recommendations to improve current curriculum
- Monitor and ensure compliance with the stated policies of the school
- Enhance Islamic practices, ethics, morality, dress codes and Tarbiya through leading by example, coaching employees, and ensuring compliance
- Evaluate and improve employee performance by developing an individual professional growth plans
- Identify employee deficiencies, create a map and timeline for improvement goals and track and document all progress towards goals and deadlines
- Proactively provide intervention where needed before the issues escalate and adversely impact parents and students
- Hold weekly department head meetings to ensure all teachers are on target and at a professional well balanced pace to meet end of year instruction goals
- Observe classrooms on regular basis and provide feedback to teachers and staff according to the guidelines set by the Leader of the LT
- Conduct periodic meetings with teachers and staff and provide feedback
- Administer written and in person Employee Evaluations every marking period with supporting documentation from in-class observations, department head feedback and parent surveys
- Provide the Leader of the LT a summary of written evaluations and performance goals for each of the direct reports
- Hold staff meetings with a prepared agenda to enhance employee learning and engagement
- Celebrate and reward exceptional performance with announcements and gifts within budget
- Monitor standardized tests and final scores for STAAR, PSAT, SAT, TSI, THEA, MAP and others
- Set standards, goals and plans to maintain high scores and increase academic performance
- Celebrate student success and achievement using a 360 approach (students, staff and parents)
Discipline & Counseling of Students
- Establish and maintain discipline throughout the school day
- Become familiar with current policies and procedures
- Closely monitor and enforce policies and procedures regarding the students
- Monitor hallways during transition time
- Monitor outside fields
- Monitor adherence to uniform dress code
- Conduct periodic classroom checks
- Learn and utilize the Discipline portions of student database system to ensure the proper handling, documentation and follow-up of discipline problems with students
- Counsel students with disciplinary problems
- Document; follow up; and attend to daily referrals
- Conduct periodical orientation sessions with students to review discipline policies
- Conduct periodical orientation sessions with teachers, and parents regarding discipline issues, attendance records, absence reports, adherence to procedures & routines…etc
- Confer with teachers to address disciplinary problems
- Monitor and review student attendance monthly and quarterly
- Request meeting with parents as needed to discuss excessive tardiness or absences
- Report all excused and unexcused absence to teacher so they will adjust their records accordingly
- Field Trips
- Approve/disapprove field trip requests.
- Oversee scheduling of the following:
- BHA Club activities
- Academic Competitions
- Islamic Competitions
- Award Assemblies
- Sports Programs
- Special Events
School or Community Relations
- Articulate the school’s mission to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
- Demonstrate awareness of school and community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs using appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors Tools/Equipment Used
- Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals Posture: Frequent sitting and standing; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
- Motion: Repetitive hand motions, frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
- Lifting: Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds); occasional physical restraint of students to control behavior
- Environment: May work prolonged or irregular hours; work inside and outside (exposure to sun, heat, cold, and inclement weather), exposure to noise; occasional statewide travel
- Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress
- Hold a Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university preferably in the area of education.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of excellent experience in teaching and working with adults or adolescents. Have at least two (2) years excellent administrative experience as a Principal, Assistant Principal, or Central Office Administrator.
- Should have completed an approved principal educator preparation program and the required exam.
- Demonstrate excellent leadership, organizational skills, and ability to motivate people.
- Have excellent integrity and demonstrate good moral character and initiative.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of curriculum development and program evaluation, child growth and development, effective instructional strategies, classroom management, learning assessment and diagnosis, and research relating to learning.
- Exhibit distinct personality traits such as enthusiasm and strong interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents, and the community.
Administrative (Full Time)
Pay and Benefits
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time off
- Employee Family Discount
- Professional Development
Name: Samira Siddiqui
Title: HR AdministratorEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brighter Horizons Academy - College Preparatory
3145 Medical Plaza Dr, Garland, TX 75044, USA